In today’s fast-paced digital world, collaboration is key. When working in teams, it is important to find the right tools to share files and other important assets. With an increasing amount of work being conducted remotely, communication is now being re-imagined. With the click of a button, you can access thousands of documents and conversations without spending hours searching for them with cloud sharing.
Cloud sharing and communication platforms have grown in popularity during this shift to primarily online communication. Using the cloud to share files can help you increase productivity and efficiency in the workplace in ways you’ve never imagined. In this article, we’ll outline the pros and cons of cloud sharing, its main uses, and how it can help you in your day-to-day work life.
What is Cloud-Based File Sharing?
Cloud-based file sharing involves sharing files over the internet through the cloud. The cloud is online storage space where you can store documents, videos, and other files without taking up space on your device. Typically when you share files stored on the cloud, you send a link that will redirect your recipient to the file’s location on the cloud.
How to Use Cloud Sharing at Work
- Sending Large Files – Large files like photos and videos are a hassle to send through traditional digital communication pathways like email. Due to their large file sizes, these types of materials are always easier to share through cloud sharing services. Users can choose whether or not they want to strictly preview these files or download them to their local computers. This creates an easier and less time-consuming sharing process.
- Instant Communication – Instant messaging applications for the workplace have also grown increasingly popular in the past couple of years. Applications like Slack and Atlassian HipChat help you communicate with co-workers more effectively. Teams can share information with one another faster than ever before.
- Feedback – File sharing apps have also made it easier to offer feedback on projects and ideas with fellow team members. Instant feedback and comments help speed up the pace of projects and get rid of the traditional wait times.
- Project Management – Overseeing projects is easier than ever before with cloud sharing apps. Managing large groups of people with different tasks and assignments is simpler due to the transparency and accountability that comes with working on a cloud-based platform. Team members can keep track of work progress and deadlines more efficiently.
What is the Main Benefit of Cloud-Based File Sharing?
There are many benefits of file sharing through the cloud. These include:
- Accessibility – Because most of these services can be accessed on multiple devices and platforms, files are more accessible.
- Cost Reduction – Many cloud-based applications come with their own storage systems, backups, and security systems, thus reducing expense costs for companies who opt to use their applications.
- Security – Trusted cloud-based applications will help protect your data and shared files against security risks. Having information and files stored online can also protect you from malware that affects only locally stored data.
- Increased Storage Capacity – Large amounts of local storage can get very expensive. Online databases can provide the same amount of storage for a much smaller cost. Companies that need to transfer large files like photos and videos benefit from cloud-based platforms with large storage capacities.
Are There Any Disadvantages to Cloud Sharing?
Disadvantages associated with cloud sharing services include:
- Higher Internet Costs – To get the most out of your cloud-based sharing device, you need a fast and reliable internet connection. Depending on a variety of factors, this cost can get a little expensive. Online sharing platforms rely on internet connection and can’t work without it.
- Security Vulnerability – Security can be both an advantage and a disadvantage of using cloud-based apps. Although it was mentioned above that these applications can protect you from data breaches, they can also be vulnerable to high-tech or experienced online hackers. To avoid this risk, it’s important to monitor who can access what files in an organization and what ownership is granted to those people.
- Compliance – Due to certain regulations among a number of industries, some companies cannot share data through file-sharing websites. A couple of industries that might have a harder time using file sharing sites include healthcare, government, publicly traded companies, and the financial industry.
How to Send Large Files Through Email
As many of us know, it can get tricky figuring out how to send large files through email. There are several cloud sharing services that can help you with sending large files through other communication pathways. Droplr is a cloud-based screenshot and screen recording tool that stores your files through an online cloud sharing platform. When you upload a file to Droplr, the application gives you a short and easy to share a link. Users even have the ability to add password protection to their files. Droplr can also be used for cloud document sharing for business. Learn more about file sharing with Droplr.
Is Cloud Sharing the Right Fit for My Company?
Using cloud file sharing can help your company’s productivity in a number of ways. Whether your needs are as simple as sending instant messages to your team members or as large as distributing large data files to co-working teams, online communication apps can help simplify your workload. When everyone is striving for higher efficiency and speed in their work environment, it’s important to note the reliability and usefulness of cloud sharing.
Learn how to use Droplr to upload and share files from the cloud.
Learn More About File Sharing
Learn more about 5 different ways you can share large files over the internet in 2022 and make sure you check out how your Customer Support team can benefit from using online storage service tools and file-sharing platform.