Creating and sharing screenshots both with clients and fellow team members should be an easy and secure process. When sharing a screenshot, it’s easy to forget about logistics and nitty-gritty details like the security settings of your file. Whether you’re using a screenshot tool for personal or enterprise use, online safety and security is an essential element of the process.
The different Mac and PC screen capture tools listed below all have varying levels of file security available to the user. We’ll go over each tool’s different domain settings, sharing settings, and additional security features. For more information on pricing and other screenshot application comparisons, make sure to check out our price calculator that will not only help you define your screenshot needs but also compare the prices of the applications listed below.
Read more about the different privacy and security settings of every cloud-based screenshot tool listed below.
Best for individuals, businesses, and enterprises who frequently take screenshots and screen recordings. Everything is saved in the cloud with a link you can share with anyone, anywhere. Droplr is an all-in-one solution with advanced features, integrations, and complete security coverage.
- Compliance and Security Coverage – All drops created with Droplr are SSL/TLS encrypted with GDPR compliance. Droplr is also compliant with SOC 2 and HIPPA.
- SSO and Custom Branding – Your team can sign on to Droplr using SSO, whether with Okta, Microsoft Azure SSO, or Google Cloud Identity SSO. Droplr lets you personalize your screenshots in a number of ways. Users are able to add custom branding, domains, as well as logos to their account. When sharing a screenshot, you can also choose to display your drop with either a light or a dark theme.
- Auto Redaction – In the Droplr security panel, admins can turn on AI auto redactions. Enabling this feature will allow Droplr to automatically redact all PII drops. You can also blacklist and whitelist certain words for all screenshots.
- Drop Settings – When taking a screenshot using Droplr, there are a couple of different customizable file sharing settings. You can set public, team-only, and private screenshots. Users can also set their files to self-destruct after a custom amount of time. Shared folders also have sharing settings that you can change.
- Security Panel – Droplr admins have access to a security panel from which they can access all account information. Admins can see the total number of drops created, users on a team and their specific data, as well as the number of auto redactions. Droplr also highlights a ‘risk score’ for your account and individual screenshots as well to alert users of files that are potentially being used for phishing or other malware.
Best for businesses and enterprises that need an easy-to-use tool for screenshots and screen recordings. CloudApp’s integrations make it a good choice for teams looking for an app that integrates with the work productivity apps they already use.
- GDPR Compliant – CloudApp protects customer data and information through GDPR compliance.
- Custom Domain – Similar to Droplr, CloudApp allows you to create a custom domain to use with your screenshot tool.
- No Auto Redaction – CloudApp does not currently allow users to set up auto redaction on their files, though you can manually blur sensitive information.
- File Settings – With CloudApp, you have access to six different sharing settings that you can set your files to. Users can also choose specific times for link expirations.
- SSO – CloudApp gives users the ability to create a single sign-on using 2FA, Google, Okta, or OneLogin.
Best for business teams and product demonstrations that frequently use visual instructions using screenshots and screen recordings. Snagit provides templates, annotations, and a step tool that is a good solution for how-to guides and tutorials needed to onboard employees or explain products and services to customers.
- GDPR Compliant – Snagit protects customer data through GDPR compliance.
- No Custom Domain – Snagit does not currently allow users to create or add custom domains or specific branding to their screenshots.
- Limited Screenshot Settings – After creating a screenshot using Snagit, you are unable to change any of the file settings. You are only able to share your file through a variety of pathways but the settings of your file do not change when doing so.
- No Auto Redaction – Users are currently unable to set up auto redaction on their files.
- No SSO – Snagit does not currently offer any single sign-on options unless users are TechSmith Relay customers.
Best for people who want to record and edit creative screen recordings for individual use. Screen-O-Matic provides a number of audio editing options, making this application a good fit for those looking to create narrated videos, how-to’s, and tutorials.
- GDPR Compliant – Screencast-O-Matic protects customer data and information through GDPR compliance.
- Custom URL – As far as custom domains, Screencast-O-Matic allows you to create custom URLs for files that are uploaded to the application’s cloud.
- Password Protection – You can add passwords to your uploaded images for further protection. Screencast-O-Matic includes this on their free account as well, making it the best free screenshot software.
- Secure Backup – Screencast-O-Matic backs up users’ files to help them avoid losing screenshots and other files. Files are also encrypted with AES-256 encryption.
- SSO – Screencast-O-Matic offers SSO through SAML.
Picking the Best Screenshot Software
The print screen software mentioned above vary in a couple of different ways, though all ensure your privacy when taking desktop captures and other screenshots. If you’re looking for a reliable tool to use for your enterprise, Droplr and CloudApp are the way to go. These two applications offer users the most options when it comes to creating custom domains and auto redaction or SSO features. Custom domains can help your brand create authenticated files and screenshots associated only with your company. Snagit and Screencast-O-Matic offer users a very limited or basic level of screenshot security and therefore would be better off for users looking for a snipping tool for personal use.
Make sure to check out our other articles to learn more about how these screenshot tools compare in relation to integrations and overall features.