You can use screen capturing software for a variety of different tasks. Whether it’s using it as presentation recording software, creating tutorials for your B2B business or SaaS products, customer service management, or even sharing progress and updates on your development team, it’s important to have a trustworthy and reliable tool on hand. However, you may be wondering, is there a free screen recorder? Fortunately, there are both paid and free screen recorders available!
Although free screen recorders may not have all of the features and analytics tools that paid recorders have, there are still quite a few good free screen recorders. You can find free screen recording software with audio, editing options, and different recording sizes. As such, a free screen recorder may still work for you.
Best Free Video Capture Software
We’ve outlined 5 top free screen recorders below. We highlight their top features to help you choose the best free video recorder for your needs.
Mac native screen recording software
- Pre-Installed – If you’re using a Mac computer, you’re in luck. All Mac desktop computers come pre-installed with a free screen recording app that is easy to use.
- Timer – The free screen recording software for Mac comes with a timer tool that allows you to start recording either 5 seconds or 10 seconds after clicking the ‘start’ button. This can be helpful when creating a tutorial or presentation.
- Editing Features – Although the Mac free video recorder does not have extensive editing tools, it does allow you to edit and trim your recording to help you improve the quality of your video.
- Size Options – When using the Mac free screen recorder, you can choose to record the entire screen or a portion of it. So, you can customize your screen recording size.
Windows Xbox Game Bar
- Pre-Installed – Just like the Mac recorder, this free screen recording software for Windows comes pre-installed, saving you both time and money.
- Hotkeys – To help you work faster, this computer screen recorder comes with easy-to-use hotkeys that can quickly start and stop a recording. Just press the Windows key + G to open the app and start recording.
- Recording Settings – The Windows free recording software comes with a couple recording features and settings for you to choose from. These include maximum clip length, quality settings, and more.
- Audio Recording – Xbox Game Bar doubles as free screen recording with audio software.
- Windows Only – Bandicam is free screen recording software made only for Windows computers. As such, it cannot be accessed on a Mac desktop.
- Webcam Overlay – Bandicam lets you add an overlay of your webcam, allowing you to feature yourself when screen recording.
- Logo – You can add your own logo to the video, allowing you to personalize and brand your recording.
- Drawing Tool – Bandicam also features a ‘real-time’ drawing tool that lets you ‘draw’ on your screen when recording. This free video editing tool can be helpful when creating a tutorial or a video for a customer.
- Accessibility – OBS Studio can be downloaded on a Mac, Windows, or Linux computer, making it easily accessible for any user who needs a powerful free screen recording app.
- Audio Mixer – OBS Studio comes with an advanced video and audio mixer with audio filters like noise gate, noise suppression, and gain. This tool is helpful for anyone needing to create a screen recording with high-quality sound.
- Configuration Options – This best free screen recorder feature is geared towards users with more technical knowledge and experience. OBS Studio lets you add new sources, adjust video properties, and more.
- Advanced Editing Tools – If you’re looking for the best free screen recording software that also comes with a larger variety of editing options, OBS Studio is the right choice for you. This software can help you create professional videos with countless editing tools.
- Accessible – ScreenRec can be downloaded for free on any Windows or Linux computer.
- Audio – You can record audio, letting you easily create a video demonstration or tutorial with a voice-over.
- Webcam Recording – You can simultaneously record your computer screen and your webcam so that both your face and your screen are visible in the video.
- Mouse Effects – You can turn on mouse effects when creating a screen recording. This means that anytime you click on something your cursor is highlighted. You also have the option of turning on “click sounds”.
How to Choose the Best Free Screen Recorder
Although all of the screen recorders mentioned above are free, they do all come with a variety of different tools and features. If you’re looking for free video capture software that requires the least amount of hassle and effort to download, go with your pre-installed native Windows or Mac screen recorders.
However, if you need free video recording software that has more advanced editing and audio tools, go with OBS Studio. If you’re a Windows user who needs a couple of additional editing tools like real-time drawing and logo placement, your best free recording software option is Bandicam. Conversely, Windows and Linux users can all use ScreenRec. This free online screen recorder comes with similar editing features, but is more accessible.
If you’re looking for a paid screen recording software that has a couple of additional tools and features, check out Droplr, the highest rate and lowest priced screen recorder on the market. You can create screenshots, screen recordings, and GIFs using Droplr. These files are all saved to the cloud and can be shared anywhere with a short link. Learn more about Droplr and how it can help you get your work done faster.